My name is Olivier Chafik, I’m passionate with cool tech (interoperability, high performance, meta-programming) and ambitious UX projects.
I’ve got a Diplôme d’Ingénieur from École Centrale Paris (equiv. MSc.) and have worked as a Software Engineer for ~ 10 years:
6 months at Deutsche Bank, working on a financial valuation service system and its computation grids
Our team ended up splitting, but the project was great!
3 years leading a front office development team at Sophis (now Misys) in Paris:
(C++ / C#, Oracle, Team Management and Usability focus)
2 years doing 3D graphics at Cimmetry Systems in Montréal:
(C++, OpenGL, Performance Optimization)
I’m also a prolific open-source developer, lucky enough to have attracted active contributors to some of my projects:
- ScalaCLALPHA: runs Scala on graphic cards (GPU-backed collections + AST voodoo)
- Scalaxy: various macro-based experiments
- JavaCL: oldest OpenCL bindings for Java (popular within academia)
- BridJ: modern C / C++ interoperability library for Java (dynamic bindings)
- JNAerator: native bindings generator that parses C / C++ / Objective-C headers to create JNA, Rococoa, BridJ or Node.js bindings
Here are some talks I’ve given about them:
- Better, Faster, Stronger with macros & compiler plugins (Nest Labs 2015)
- Scalaxy/Streams: Faster collections, now! (scala.io 2014, Paris)
- Practical reified trees (not only) for GPGPU (scala.io 2013, Paris)
- JavaCL / ScalaCL (Devoxx France 2012)
- ScalaCL (Scalathon 2011, Philadelphia)
I was also lucky to review Matthew Scarpino’s OpenCL in Action book (Manning Publications), which features a full chapter on JavaCL!
I’m always open to new challenges: come and challenge me!